We are living in a time when we all feel the fear, pain, and confusion of the coronavirus. Here are some positive steps that we can do to move forward:
- You can use Skype or phone appointments instead of office appointments. I am now offering this as a special service.
- Protect your immune system by learning how to practice joy, happiness, laughter and good thoughts in spite of the fearful situation.
- A bad marriage increases depression by tenfold. Learning how to have a great marriage can reduce stress and protect your immune system.
- Use common sense: drinking lots of water, exercise, fresh air, sunshine, abundant hand washing, daily meditation and prayer all help protect the immune system.
- Stay away from sugar. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Zinc, vitamin C and other herbal supplements can increase your immunity.
- A great positive attitude can be a self-fulfilling prophecy for staying well.
- Celebrate what you have to be thankful for. "Gratefulness can normalize our body's natural stress and anti-inflammatory hormones. Grateful people sleep better and awake feeling more refreshed. Thankfulness also leads to a stronger immune function. This increased immune function decreases our episodes of illness and leads to a quicker recovery from illness."
- Elbows instead of hand shakes or hugs, hand santizer, and washing door knobs are also recommended. Make it into a fun game.
Blessings and health,
Kent R. Brand, MSW, LCSW, PIP Psychotherapist