Many today have never seen an extraordinarily awesome marriage: not in their childhood, not in their own relationships, and not even in Hollywood. Ironically, with over 1,500 relationship-matching websites, it has also never been easier to fall in love. Unfortunately, it’s also never been easier for couples to walk away from a marriage or relationship. So, is it even possible for two people to be happy together forever?
As a marriage counselor who has personally been happily married for 48 years, I would have to say, “Yes!” So, what is the foundation for staying in love? In my opinion, the 12 steps below are a good start:
- Learning to overcome a dysfunctional past.
- Learning how to "step up" security, praise, admiration, unselfish love, and encouragement for one another.
- Learning how to be a detective, and getting to know your spouse better.
- Learning how to keep your spouse's emotional bank account full.
- Learning how to be agreeable and cooperative with your spouse.
- Learning how to resolve conflict and avoid harsh "start-ups."
- Learning how to put your spouse first. Be intentional. Have a conscious not an unconscious marriage.
- Learning how to solve solvable problems.
- Learning how to support your spouse's dream.
- Find a ritual on connection.
- Build the foundation of your marriage on God.
- Learning 10,000 ways to say "I love you." Don't get in a rut. Light his/her fire! Be creative! Use the power of pretend!
If you’d like help learning any of these methods for building a stronger marriage, schedule a relationship counseling appointment for you or you and your spouse, today.
- Image via Gabby Orcutt at Unsplash